Culture Days: Heritage tours & art activities
- Sun Oct 02, 1 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sun Oct 02, 3 p.m. - 4 p.m.
On Sunday Oct. 2nd participate in Culture Days with a visit to the national award-winning Alton Mill Arts Centre. We offer several free Culture Days activities:
- heritage tours of the bulidng and grounds conducted by the arts centre founders Jordan and Jeremy Grant.
- Headwaters artists Diana Hillman and Vickie Wild conduct hands-on stump printing workshops.
- Rita-Anne Piquet offers a painting demo.
During the heritage tours one of the Grant brothers will talk about the history of the mill, the restoration process and will point out interesting features of the building. Times are 1:00 to 2:00 pm and 3:00 to 4:00 pm.
Stump prints are literally prints made from wood stumps. The first step is to take a blow torch to the logs to bring out the wood grain. This improves the detail and quality of the finished product greatly. Then the participants will will brush paint on the stumps and press the paper to the log applying even pressure before carefully peeling the paper away. The end results will vary depending on the colour and amount of paint applied.
Rita-Ann will demonstrate her oil painting technique, showing the various stages of planning, photos, sketches, adding watercolour to the sketches and then creating the “final painting”.